New Orleans Car Accident Lawyers for Taxi and Limo Accidents
Taxicabs and limousines are generally considered a safe mode of transportation, as they are operated by professionals who drive for a living. The truth, however, is that taxi and limo accidents are more common in New Orleans than many people think. If you or any of your loved ones have been injured in a taxi or limo accident in New Orleans, you are entitled to recover compensatory damages from the party that caused the accident. An experienced New Orleans car accident attorney can identify the parties that can be held liable for your injuries and recover the compensation you deserve through settlement or litigation.
What are the Causes of Taxi and Limo Accidents in Louisiana?
Taxi and limo drivers are on the road virtually every day and they often have to drive in heavy traffic and in bad weather. Some of these drivers are work even when they are tired, just so they can pick up more fares. All these factors increase the risk of taxi and limo accidents considerably.The most common factors that contribute to taxi and limo accidents in Louisiana include:
- Distracted driving
- Aggressive driving
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or prescription medications
- Failing to follow the rules of the road
- Mechanical failure
What Kind of Injuries Can You Sustain in a Taxi or Limo Accident?
The most common types of injuries that result from taxi and limo accidents include whiplash injuries, cuts and bruises, sprains, broken bones, spinal injury, and traumatic brain injury.
In case of a head-on collision or a T-bone accident involving a taxi or limo and another vehicle, the victims might sustain crippling or even fatal injuries, particularly when one or both of the drivers happened to be driving at high speed at the time of the accident.
Our New Orleans Auto Accident Lawyer Explains How to Determine Liability
Depending on the circumstances under which the accident happened, one or more of the following parties can be held liable for the injuries sustained by the victim in New Orleans: (a) the taxi or limousine driver; (b) the taxi or limousine company; or (c) the taxi or limousine manufacturer. The liability issues stemming from a taxi or limo accident can be quite complex for you to understand, especially if the driver who caused the accident is not directly employed the company, but works as an independent contractor. If you mistakenly file a claim or lawsuit against the wrong party, your case will get dismissed.Thus, it’s important that you speak to a New Orleans car accident law firm early on, in order to sue all responsible parties.
Fault Caused by the Driver
The taxi or limo driver in Louisiana can be held liable for your injuries if he or she:
- Was driving aggressively or irresponsibly or was speeding
- Failed to follow the rules of the road (not maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, passing other vehicles even when it is not safe to do so, failing to yield right of way to motorists and pedestrians, and so on)
- Was drunk or under the influence of drugs or prescription medications
- Was distracted (texting or talking to someone on the phone, eating or drinking something while driving, talking to the passengers, and so on)
- Was fatigued due to overworking or lack of adequate sleep
- Falsified his or her driving record and other documents to get the job, despite knowing that he or she was not qualified for the job.
Circumstances Where the Taxi or Limo Company Can Also be Held Liable
In some cases, however, you might be able to hold the company liable for the accident, even if it was caused by the actions of the driver, thanks to Louisiana’s ‘respondent superior’ doctrine. The doctrine states that the employer can be held liable for the damages caused by their employees, such as the following scenarios:
- If the company hired the driver without checking if he or she was qualified for the job, it can be held liable for the property damage, injuries, and fatalities resulting from the accident, even if it was caused by the driver’s actions.
- If the company hired the driver despite knowing that he or she was not properly licensed or did not have the skill or experience needed to drive the vehicle, it can be held liable for all kinds of damages resulting from the accident.
- If the company hired the driver despite knowing that he or she had a history of reckless driving or was suffering from a medical condition that might affect his or her driving ability, it can be held liable for the accident and the damages resulting from it.
- If the company forced the driver to work without taking adequate rest, it can be held liable for the damages resulting from the accident.
- If the accident was caused by a mechanical failure, which could have been prevented with regular maintenance, the taxi or limo company can be held liable for the accident.
- If the company failed to comply with the state’s regulations pertaining to the ownership and maintenance of taxicabs and limousines, and if the non-compliance contributed to the accident, the company can be held liable for the resulting damages.
- If the company made any illegal modifications to the taxi or limo, and if the modifications affected the driver’s ability to control the vehicle, the company can be held liable for your injuries and other damages.
Our New Orleans Car Accident Lawyers Can Also Hold a Limo or Taxi Manufacturer Liable
There is only one scenario in which the company that manufactured the taxi or limo can be held liable for the damages resulting from the accident. If the accident was caused as a result of a faulty auto part, the manufacturer can be held liable, as they failed in their duty to make a high-quality component that can withstand the rigors of the road.
How much compensation can you receive from a taxi or limo accident claim?
Also, it is not easy to assess the economic and non-economic damages caused by the accident and determine the amount of compensation that can be recovered from the defendant. If you do not know how much you can recover from the at-fault party, their insurance company can easily persuade you or arm-twist you into accepting a low settlement offer.
This is why it’s vital for you to be represented by an experienced New Orleans taxi and limo accidents lawyer. The lawyer can guide you through the process of filing a claim or a lawsuit and make sure you are adequately compensated for the damages you suffered as a result of the accident.
How a New Orleans Taxi or Limo Accident Attorney Can Help
Here are some of the key responsibilities of a lawyer in a limo or taxi accident case:
- Investigating the circumstances under which the accident happened and determining who can be held liable for the damages resulting from the accident
- Gathering the evidence needed to establish the culpability and liability of the at-fault parties
- Negotiating with the at-fault party’s insurance company to find out if they are willing to settle the case
- Filing a lawsuit if needed and recovering adequate compensation from the at-fault party through litigation
The Top-Rated New Orleans Attorneys at Bloom Legal are Here for Your Limo or Taxi Accident Claim
If you or any of your family members have been injured or suffered other kinds of damages in a taxi or limo accident, the accident lawyers of Bloom Legal can help you.
We are a full-service injury law firm based in New Orleans. Since 2004, we have successfully represented scores of taxi and limo accident victims, as well as victims of other kinds of auto accidents, and recovered substantial damages through settlement and litigation.
We have the skill, resources, and trial experience to resolve your case through settlement or litigation. To find out how our taxi and limo accidents lawyers can help you, contact us today for a free and confidential consultation.
Stay Safe During
Hear What Our Clients Have To Say
"This company is one of the most helpful and dutiful law firms in New Orleans. I have met with Seth Bloom multiple times and he has helped with out of several situations I thought had no solution. He made me feel calm, comfortable, and collected. After our first meeting, he established a genuine interest in my position and assured me that he would stand by me. Aside from that, he is one of the most professional lawyers I have dealt with, and I believe his service to be above what people in New Orleans consider to be great service."
Posted By: Zachary Klos