Drinking Alcohol in Public
New Orleans is very tolerant of alcohol and is one of the few places in the country where you can consume an alcoholic beverage outdoors. But if the party becomes out of control, you can very quickly find yourself with an arrest for public intoxication or drunk and disorderly conduct.
Public Intoxication = Municipal Offense
Public intoxication in New Orleans is a municipal offense. That means that you will not be subjected to state or federal criminal proceedings or sentences for your offense. Instead, you are bound by municipal statutes and penalties. If convicted of public intoxication or drunk and disorderly conduct, you may face a fine and/or up to six months in Parish prison. Of course, because these are not state or federal felonies, your record will not have the stain of a felony conviction. But the fines imposed as penalties for these municipal offenses can hurt. Additionally, any time spent in prison can disrupt your life, as you will miss work, potentially losing your job, as well as potentially alienating those closest to you.
Don’t let a public intoxication charge disrupt your life. Make Bloom Legal your public intoxication defense attorney.
At Bloom Legal, we can help you avoid the penalties for your public intoxication or drunk and disorderly conduct charge. We will negotiate with prosecutors to have the charges dropped or dismissed. Or, if the charges cannot or will not be dismissed, we can negotiate for a reduced penalty like a fine or community service, keeping you free and out of jail.
New Orleans’ party atmosphere plays an integral role in drawing tourists to the city. Our accepting and vibrant culture makes this a great place to visit. But this same culture that so greatly encourages fun nights out on the town can also have devastating effects. If you are from out of town and were arrested during your visit, Bloom Legal is a criminal defense law firm ideally situated to represent you in your case. We understand how difficult it can be to have legal issues far from home, so we will work with you to make this process as easy as possible.
Public Intoxication Info for Tourists and Locals
- Top Tourist Events
Whether you were arrested in New Orleans or one of the surrounding parishes, Bloom Legal has the expertise and the resources to serve you. We work with both tourists and locals from across the seven-parish metropolitan area, including:
- Orleans Parish
- Metairie, Kenner, and the rest of Jefferson Parish
- Chalmette, Arabi, and the rest of St. Bernard Parish
- Covington, Mandeville, and the rest of St. Tammany Parish
- LaPlace and St. John the Baptist Parish
- Des Allemands, Hahnville, Destrehan, and the rest of St. Charles Parish
- Belle Chasse and Plaquemines Parish
Top City Tourist Events That Lead to Public Intoxication
In addition to our year-round party atmosphere, New Orleans has countless events that can lead a person to be charged with public intoxication. These include:
- Mardi Gras, the single-largest tourist event here, in which alcohol and partying play central roles
- Jazz and Heritage Festival, otherwise known as JazzFest, a two week-end music and art festival held every spring at the Fairgrounds
- New Year’s celebrations, during which the region and countless tourists and visitors celebrate the New Year
- College football events, like the Sugar Bowl and the Bayou Classic, which both draw many visitors and sports fans to the city every year
- New Orleans Saints games
- New Orleans Hornets games
- Southern Decadence, held every year on Labor Day weekend
- French Quarter Fest, an annual, free music and arts festival centered around the French Quarter
- Countless conventions held at the Ernest M. Morial Convention Center and the Louisiana Superdome
- Many other festivals held across the city and the region every year
Contact a New Orleans Public Intoxication Lawyer
If you were arrested during one of these events, you need an aggressive lawyer to represent you in your criminal case. From the time you hire our services through the resolution of your case, Bloom Legal will work with you to help you retain your freedom and your livelihood.
Stay Safe During
Hear What Our Clients Have To Say
I contacted Bloom Legal out of the blue with a strange question for a fiction series I’m writing that takes place in New Orleans. Being from Maryland I was in the dark and needed assistance and they jumped at the chance to help me (they were the only law firm that responded to my e-mail). His team worked quickly and carefully to find the information I needed. Because of the help they provided it changed a large aspect of my novel and for that I am very grateful.
Posted by: Sarah Perrie