What to Do In Case of a Personal Injury
Posted on Feb 20, 2014 in Personal Injury
After an auto accident, it can be really difficult to understand what you should do to protect yourself. By taking certain steps when you get hurt, you can maximize the chances of being awarded monetary damages for your losses so you don’t face financial hardship because of someone else’s carelessness or wrongdoing. Our Personal Injury video provides important information that can help you to protect your right to full compensation.
After a Car Accident
After a personal injury, a New Orleans auto accident attorney can deal with the insurance companies on your behalf and can help you to pursue a damage claim against a driver who was responsible for causing you harm. Calling a lawyer as soon as possible is a smart choice, but you also need to know what to do in the immediate aftermath of an accident when you are still at the scene.
The video Personal Injury provides some important tips for steps to take after you suffer an injury. For example, you should:
- Call an ambulance right away: Taking care of yourself and the passengers around you is important.
- Contact the police: The police will write up an accident report that contains details about the crash and about any suspected causes of the collision. This can be invaluable in the event that a settlement is negotiated since the police report can help you to prove the cause of the crash.
- Make accurate statements: You need to be honest about what occurred at the scene of the accident and ensure you don’t change your story as inconsistencies could potentially be used to call the cause of the accident into question. Don’t volunteer information beyond what you are asked and don’t talk to the insurance company until you have a New Orleans auto accident attorney representing you. Your attorney will help you to ensure you don’t say something to an insurer that could jeopardize your right to full compensation.
- Take photographs of the scene of the accident. You probably have a cell phone camera in the car with you and can take pictures at the scene.
- Get the contact information of witnesses. If there is a dispute about the cause of the accident, witness statements could help you to prove who was to blame so it will be easier to obtain auto accident compensation.
These are just some of the different steps that you should take to protect yourself. When you make a personal injury claim, the case may be resolved outside of court. The stronger your evidence, the more likely it is the insurance company will offer you a fair settlement because the insurer will believe you likely could prevail in court. Strong evidence can also help you to convince a jury to award you damages.
A New Orleans auto accident attorney can help you to pursue your claim for compensation so you have the best chance of receiving full monetary damages regardless of whether your case goes to trial or is resolved in settlement negotiations. Watch our Personal Injury video or call today for more information on how we can help you.