As a biker, you know how lucky you are to experience the freedom and joy that comes with cruising down an open highway, with the wind and sun hitting your face, feeling the power of your bike beneath you. But you also know that with that freedom comes risk.
Even if you are the safest rider out there, always following the rules, always wearing a helmet and protective gear, you know that you are vulnerable to catastrophic accidents caused by inattentive drivers, road hazards, or other unique factors. You also know that without metal car frames, seatbelts, or air bags to protect you, the outcome of a motorcycle crash is more likely to be serious injury or death than if you were behind the wheel of a car.
There are many types of motorcycle accidents that lead to injury or death, as well as to claims for compensation when the recklessness or negligence of other drivers causes those accidents.
At Bloom Legal, our New Orleans motorcycle accident attorneys know how devastating it can be after a motorcycle accident, with lost wages, lengthy and expensive medical treatment, and the pain and lack of mobility that can make every day a painful challenge. We respect bikers and fight tirelessly to get them the resources and compensation that can get them back on their feet and back on their bikes.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents happen for a variety of reasons and in many ways. Common types of motorcycle accidents include:
- Unsafe Lane-Changing Accidents. Due to the smaller stature of motorcycles and their ability to move through traffic in ways cars can’t, they are particularly vulnerable to being hit by drivers who change lanes without fully checking their blind spots.
- Front-End Collisions. Bikers, like drivers, need to ensure that there is ample space between themselves and the vehicle in front of them. When a leading driver makes an unexpected or unwarranted stop, or has malfunctioning brake lights, a biker who is following too closely can hit that car and be thrown from their bike at a high velocity. The same can happen in a front-end collision with a fixed object, which can happen because of unsafe road conditions or the need to take sudden evasive accident to avoid another driver.
- Rear-End Collisions. Motorcycles can come to a stop much quicker than cars can, unbeknownst to many drivers. When a motorcycle comes to a sudden stop, a driver who is following too closely can ram into the back of the bike. Between two cars, such rear-end accidents may be mere fender-benders. When it happens to a motorcycle, it can cause the biker to fly backwards, often leading to serious head, back, or neck injuries.
- Wide-Turn Accidents. Bikers running wide in corners is a frequent cause of accidents and injuries. A wide turn can cause a slide-out and fall due to overbraking or running wide on a curve due to under-cornering. It can also cause head-on collisions if the too-wide turn sends the biker into a lane of oncoming traffic.
- Left-Hand Turn Accidents. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, 40% (872) of fatal two-vehicle motorcycle crashes in 2014 involved other vehicles which were turning left while the motorcycles were going straight, passing, or overtaking other vehicles. Left-hand turn accidents can be caused by drivers failing to yield the right-of-way or misjudging the speed at which the motorcycle is traveling.
- T-Bone or Intersection Collisions. The same factors that lead to left-hand turn accidents can lead to intersection collisions, along with other factors such as failing to obey red lights or stop signs, failing to look both ways before crossing the intersection, and inability to see motorcycles obscured by objects or other vehicles.
- Single-Bike Accidents. Not all motorcycle accidents involve other vehicles. Hazardous road conditions such as crumbling or uneven pavement, potholes, debris, mechanical problems, or other factors can cause a biker to lose control and either lay-down their bike or hit a stationary object at high speeds.
Common Motorcycle Injuries
Even with helmets and other protective gear, motorcycle riders remain particularly vulnerable to a wide range of catastrophic injuries. Two of the most frequent injuries in motorcycle accidents are:
- Head Injuries. Helmets unquestionably save lives, but not always. According to the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration (NHTSA), 80 of the 94 bikers killed in Louisiana accidents in 2016 were wearing helmets. But with or without a helmet, brain injuries ranging from concussions to traumatic brain injury are tragically common in motorcycle accidents, as bikers hit the pavement or other objects at high speed or are thrown from their bikes.
- Eye Injuries. Bikers should always wear protective eye gear such as goggles or helmet visors to protect their eyes from objects that can hit them at high speed as they roll down the highway. Unprotected eyes can also be injured by debris or flying glass caused by a collision. Eye lacerations, corneal or retinal injuries, eye socket injuries, and loss of vision are a few ways unprotected eyes can be damaged in motorcycle accidents.
Additional injuries that are common in various types of motorcycle accidents include:
- Spinal injuries
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Neck injuries
Call Bloom Legal to Discuss Your Motorcycle Accident Today
The New Orleans motorcycle accident attorneys at Bloom Legal have successfully helped accident victims obtain compensation for all types of motorcycle accidents and injuries. As a fellow rider, Seth Bloom understands the challenges bikers face when seeking justice and compensation for their injuries and knows how to stand up for them in court or at the negotiating table.
Whether an agreeable settlement with the insurance company can be reached outside of court or your case goes to trial, you can count on Bloom Legal to stand by your side every step of the way, aggressively pursuing your claim and building the strongest possible case.
Contact us today at 504-636-6729 or through our contact form to arrange for your free consultation to discuss the details of your claim.
Stay Safe During
Hear What Our Clients Have To Say
Working with Bloom Legal has been one of the best decisions that I have ever made. Seth and his team are professional, fast, and dedicated. Seth is a lot more than a lawyer; he is a fighter! Seth took on my case and treated me like a person instead of a client. He made a difficult situation very easy. I am very thankful for Seth and his team!
Posted by: Tyler Ales